Talking to a Friend About Depression
How to talk about depression with a friend you’re concerned about. (It can be an awkward conversation to start but if it helps your friend, it’s worth it)
What to do:
- Make sure your friend is in a comfortable place to talk.
- Ease them into the conversation.
- Express concern.
- Ask questions and try to understand what’s going on from their POV.
- Don’t be afraid to ask about depression.
- Create a stigma-free place to talk.
- Refer to a health care professional.
- Don’t press too hard, offer your help and support.
- Provide Resources.
How to do it:
Share with your friends and get the conversation going.